Call us: 01786 448109

Landlord Registration

Houses in Multiple Occupation (HMO)

If a property is to be occupied by 2 or more unrelated people you are required by the local authority to apply for a multiple occupancy certificate. This comes under the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982 (Licensing of Houses in Multiple Occupation) Order 2000. This is to ensure that accommodation is safe, well managed and of good quality. HMO accommodation includes shared flats and houses.

Landlord Registration

You must register with each local authority in whose area you let property. If you own property in more than one area, you can use the councils on line system to register with all authorities.

The aim of the landlord registration is to ensure that all landlords and agents in Scotland are ‘fit and proper’ to be letting property. The owner of each property must register, and must declare anyone who acts on for them in relation to their letting.

Properties with an HMO certificate will be automatically registered by the relevant authority.